Monday, September 1, 2014

Uche Odionyenma Says' I'm The Best For AMLSN 1st Vice President'

Dear reader, welcome to another edition of your darling news summary on happenings in the Medical Laboratory Science world in Nigeria.
The topical issue in the mind of concerned Medical Laboratory Scientists is the coming election to decide who mounts the various vacant posts in the leadership of the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria.
One of the participants for the post of 1ST VICE PRESIDENT is Uche Odionyenma who responded to questions in a recent interview at the ALLMEDLABSCIENTISTS forum, enjoy..

ALLMEDLAB:
 Tell us who Odionyenma Uche is.

Odionyenma Uche I hail from Owerri, Imo State and I attended my Primary School in Lagos and Secondary in Owerri. For my Tertiary education, I attended Polythechnic Nekede, Owerri, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile - Ife. SMLS OAUTHC Ile - Ife, SMLT, UCH Ibadan, FUT Akure and AAU EkPOMA and currently, University of Benin. I hold B.Sc., MSc., MBA, FMLSCN, and a Doctoral candidate. I am presently on he staff of Ondo State Ministry of Health as Director, Medical Laboratory Services as well as Deputy Provost, College of Health Technology, Akure.
 Odionyenma Uche Odionyenma Uche is a certified Medical laboratory Scientist with bias in Microbiology and Haematology/BGS with great passion for the total emancipation of our great profession. I'm also a CLSI and ASLM certified Laboratory Assessor/Auditor.
 ALLMEDLAB: An indigene of Imo State as a director in Ondo State. That's interesting. Tell us how you achieved that?

Odionyenma Uche Well, after the mandatory One year NYSC programme, I was given an automatic employment by the Ondo State Government given my exceptional and exemplary performance during the National Service year. This employment's informed by the fact that I received both the Akure LGA NYSC Honours Award and Ondo State NYSC Award as well as a nominee for IBB Presidential Award.
 ALLMEDLAB:
I know you have served in the NEO, what motivated you to stage a comeback and push in for the post of VP 1?

Odionyenma Uche My decision to run is informed by my passionate desire to see Medical Laboratory Science profession become everything it is capable of, reaching all of its potentials as a first line Profession. I'm also passionate about defending the rights, privileges and welfare of members of our great Association.
ALLMEDLAB:
Tell us about your contributions to the profession and your manifesto.
Odionyenma Uche Yes, I served twice as a National Public Relations Officer under the regime of Dr. (now Professor) Francis Useh. Given my credible performance, It is with deep sense of humility that I once again offer myself to serve in a higher office of National 1st Vice President. My desire for the Office of the first National President is to provide me with a wider latitude as well as bring my experience to bear in serving our great Association with a renewed vigour.
ALLMEDLAB:
Yes your profile seems to be rich but what has been your achievement in the growth of AMLSN?

Odionyenma Uche Well, my contributions to the Profession are legion but let me start by saying that I am one of the fore runners for the total Liberation of Medical Lab. Scientists in Ondo State. I single handedly wrote the position paper on employment which was submitted to State Government to check the engagement of non-professionals in our hospital Laboratories. I also engaged the then Permanent Secretary, Hospital Management Board with a superior argument as to why newly employed MLS should start from GL 09 as against GL 08 which appeared on the then Scheme of service. I was also part of the state team that successfully fought for the implementation of our scheme of service which explains why Ondo State at a point in time had six Directors, Medical Laboratory Services. The highest in the Federation. I have served Ondo Branch as a correspondence secretary- 2002 and State Public Relations Officer-2004. I have served AMLS National twice a s National Public Relations Officer. I Chaired Organizing Committees for ENEC-2005 and Ondo branch maiden seminar/workshop-2006. I also chaired National Organizing Commitees AGM/Scientific Conference hosted by Kwara State-2007. I chaired the fund raising committe for the AMLSN Ondo Secretarial building and presently chairman fund raising Committee for AMLSN Ondo 2014. I created a website for our great Association during my tenure as national PRO. I can go on and on but let me stop so far.
ALLMEDLAB:
 I observed your opponent in this post are also distinguished comrades vis-a-vis service to AMLSN locally & nationally. Sir, what do u think gives u an advantage over others in this contest?

Odionyenma Uche What gives me an advantage is my experience, drive, charisma and fearlessness. My service to AMLSN started well over 12 years.There is no doubt about the fact that experience is key to delivery in office.  If given the mandate I now seek, the innovations I have in mind are:
 1. Initiate a mechanism for vigilance by introducing legislative watch units at both National and State levels to among others guard against bills that are detrimental to the practice of our great profession.
 2. Articulate a suitable strategy for empowering our Young Medical Laboratory Scientists Association and make it more proactive 
3. Ensure that we lift our eyes towards the challenges that awaits us as stake holders in the health sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment